Thursday, 26 January 2012

Lets Talk About The Oscar Nominations...

So two days ago Jennifer Lawrence announced the Oscar Nominations for this year and if you were reading my twitter you will see that I wasn't very happy about it. Some of it I was and some of it I wasn't. Here are the list of nominations and in italics are my views on the nomination:

Best Picture
War Horse - it wasn't that good!
The Artist - could have guessed this one!
Moneyball - Was this better then Drive or The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo?
The Descendants - I Like George Clooney!
The Tree of Life - Heard this was good but not brilliant.
Midnight in Paris - Woody Allen.
The Help  The political piece.
Hugo - Best on the list but not better then Drive.
Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close - I thought critics hated this one?

Best Actress

Glenn Close (Albert Nobbs) - Who?
Rooney Mara (The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo) - Good! Though there should be more for the film!
Viola Davis (The Help) - The political piece!
Meryl Streep (The Iron Lady) - Its Meryl Streep she is always getting Oscar nominations.
Michelle Williams (My Week With Marilyn) - Actress nominated for playing an actress?


Best Actor
Demian Behir (A Better Life) - Haven't seen it? What about Ryan Gosling or Albert Brooks?
George Clooney (The Descendants) - I like George Clooney!
Jean Dujardin (The Artist) - The silent film again.
Gary Oldman (Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy) - I like Gary Oldman!
Brad Pitt (Moneyball) - I like Brad Pitt!


Supporting Actress
Bérénice Bejo (The Artist) - The Silent Film.
Jessica Chastain (The Help) - The political piece.
Melissa McCarthy (Bridesmaids) - Well this is different from the Oscars? And I like a lot!
Janet McTeer (Albert Nobbs) - Who?
Octavia Spencer (The Help) -The political piece.


Supporting Actor
Kenneth Branagh (My Week With Marilyn) - No best director for Thor? I am kidding.
Jonah Hill (Moneyball) - I like a lot!
Nick Nolte (Warrior) - Haven't seen it yet.
Christopher Plummer (Beginners) - Haven't seen it yet.
Max Von Sydow (Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close) - I swear the critics hated this film!


Best Director
Woody Allen (Midnight In Paris) - Its Woody Allen.
Michel Hazanavicius (The Artist) - The silent film
Alexander Payne (The Descendants) - He had George Clooney in his film!
Martin Scorcese (Hugo) - YAYAYAYAYAYAY
Terence Malick (The Tree Of Life) - He will just dissapear for another 10 years. No Fincher??


Best Original Screenplay
The Artist - The Silent Film.
Bridesmaids - Another suprise from the Oscars!
Midnight in Paris - It's Woody Allen
Margin Call - Haven't seen it.
A Separation - Heard good things but yet to have seen it.


Best Adapted Screenplay
The Descendants - It's got George Clooney in it.
Hugo - Scorsese!
The Ides of March- Ryan Gosling!
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo - Some but not enough recognition.
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - Good.


Best Foreign Feature
Bullhead - Yet to be watched.
Footnote - Yet to be watched.
In Darkness - Yet to be watched.
Monsier Lazhar - Yet to be watched.
In Separation - Yet to be watched.


Best Animated Feature
A Cat in Paris - No Rise of the Planets of the Apes or Tintin?
Chico & Rita - No Rise of the Planets of the Apes or Tintin?
Kung Fu Panda 2 - No Rise of the Planets of the Apes or Tintin?
Puss in Boots - No Rise of the Planets of the Apes or Tintin?
Rango - No Rise of the Planets of the Apes or Tintin?


So yeah not the best Oscar year ever and I feel a lot of the best films of the year have been robbed yet again like Super 8, Drive, 50/50, all of which deserve best film, actor, and more! The Oscars just don't like sci-fi I guess. And what about Drive? I thought it was every critics fav film of the year! I'd say let the public decide the nominations but then we would end up with films like Transformers 3 so instead let us film buffs decide! Not critics!


Blog again soon!

2 comments:

  1. Just saw an article of yours on Opinion Panel and I thought I should check your blog. I read your first three articles and I enjoyed them all so I subscribed (I'm currently reading on).
    I also like films/film making. I collaborate as a cameraman with a colleague (he's the genius director) and we make short films.
    Anyway... I like reading blogs from people who have interesting things/opinions to share. Good job and keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for checking ou the blog, don't look too closely at the earlier posts there are few grammatical errors! But it's great to know that a fellow filmmaker is enjoying my work! Thanks again and keep reading!

    ReplyDelete

Please Feel Free To Comment!