Sunday 28 December 2014

My Top Ten Films Of 2014

So it has been another great year for film. Below are my top ten favourites of 2014, I personally feel that these are all awesome films and everybody should go and check them out. So read, find out my opinion and then go and watch them before the end of the year! Now just a reminder that I am going on US release dates so this also means that films like Birdman and Whiplash (which I cannot wait to see!) won't be out over here in the UK until next month, but I have feeling they may have made it onto my list if the reviews are to be believed! Here are my top ten: 

10. The Lego Movie
The Lego Movie is one of the funniest films this year. I didn't realise going in just how much I would be enjoying myself in the cinema and then subsequently, in the many viewings after within the comfort of my own home. It's just stupidly enjoyable and gives a very good commentary on the monopoly of the media and political world. I wish every family film was made with as much love and care as this. You can read my full review of The Lego Movie here.
9. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Marvel have had another great year in 2014, as both their latest films turned out be some of the best they have ever made. Captain America: The Winter Soldier came and put the once laughed at hero on the map as somebody you might want to take notice of, because he kicked some serious ass! Unlike last years two films, The Winter Soldier blended the amount of action and comedy perfectly, creating a solid superhero flick that isn't all just mind numbing action but a political piece as well. Captain America will be your new favourite Avenger! Read my full review here.
8. The Grand Budapest Hotel
I have a love/hate relationship with Wes Anderson sometimes, I don't know whether he is a cinematic genius or just a parody of himself. This film showed his genius. The Grand Budapest Hotel is one of his strongest films and really uses his quirks to the most in order to tell a really great story of a friendship between this year's best comedy duo, Ralph Fiennes and Tony Revolori. The film is very sweet and incredibly well made and original. You can read my full review here.
7. Cold in July
Cold In July was one of those films I had never heard of before it's release but when I did finally watch it, I loved it! The film twists and turns its way through its ever changing story and it is a great joy to watch when you have no idea what's coming next. It's very stylish and dark with a great cast of characters that come together in the most unlikely of ways. I don't want to say too much about it, just go and watch it, you won't be disappointed! Ready my mini review of it here.
6.Guardians Of The Galaxy
I don't think you could have any more fun watching a film in the cinema this year than Guardians Of The Galaxy. Marvel hit another home run with this unlikely hit that cemented the fact that you could slap Marvel on to anything and it will make money. I'm so glad this did well because it deserved too, it was hilariously funny and featured some awesome actions and visuals along the way. James Gunn, the director was able to make us believe in a talking raccoon and a humanoid tree! He also turned Chris Pratt into the next action film star. This film is awesome and I have seen it multiple times already and I will see it multiple times more! Read my full review here.
 5. Gone Girl
Gone Girl was another entry on David Fincher's list of amazing films. He is definitely one of the best directors around. It also made you wonder why you had only just heard of Rosamund Pike? She stole the show in this adaptation. The film was dark and moody and travelled along it's weird mystery plot at a pace that never left you bored. It stayed close to the books and really translated the material well onto the big screen. Go see it if you haven't because you won't be disappointed. Don't read up on it so you won't be spoiled, unless you want to read the book, because it's just as good. Read my full review here.
4. Interstellar
It seems to be the cool thing at the moment to jump on the bandwagon and dislike this film. I'm not saying that those people are wrong, but I think we are maybe scrutinising this a film a little too much because it's come from Christopher Nolan who is only known for making epic masterpieces. I think Interstellar is another one of his epic masterpieces that is unlike any other film this year. I was truly blown away by its scale and I connected emotionally with most of the characters, making it for me, a really powerful film and story. I really dug it as a sci-fi and Nolan fan. I wish more blockbuster films were made like this. Read my full review here.
3. Frank
One of my most loved films of the year is also the only one I haven't written a review on. That's because I came late to the Frank party and was completely taken by it when I saw it recently. In fact, after I watched it once, I went back and watched it again. It is a really sweet film that makes you fall in love with its characters and heartfelt story about music, fitting in and mental illness. Like I said, I was just really taken back by it and loved every element of it, I even went and bought the soundtrack right after I had finished watching it. Domhnall Gleeson and Michael Fassbender act their socks off and really take you on a great roller coaster ride of a film. Definitely deserving of number three on this list as it truly is one my most loved film of this year. Go watch it!
2. Nightcrawler
At number two is Nightcrawler. It is easily one of the best written films this year and features an awesome performance from Jake Gyllenhaal, who I hope will get a lot of recognition at the Oscars for his disturbing role. This dark, gritty and fast paced thriller will have you on the edge of your seat for the duration of the film. It's the directorial debut of Dan Gilroy and it's one hell of a film to begin with! It feels very relevant with its commentary on the class system and media industry, it's just a treat to watch with it's beautiful cinematography. Not just one of the best films of this year but also one of the best films I have ever seen! Read my full review here.
1. Boyhood
Talking about some of the best films I have ever seen, Boyhood is yet another classic from Richard Linklater and the second time in a row one of his films has topped my best of the year list! Boyhood is not just an ambitious premise but a film that manages to pull it off with such ease that you wonder why it has never been done before? Linklater has really captured the feeling of growing up and the three hour film flies by as you watch actor Ellar Coltrane's life flash before your eyes. By the time it is over you too will feel as if you are sending young Mason to College. There is something for everybody here and it was moving for myself being a similar age to Mason throughout the last 12 years and sharing some of his experiences. It really is a film that will stay with you forever and one that was pretty easy to decide as my favourite film of 2014. You can read my full review of the masterpiece here.

So, that concludes it for my top films this year! Stay tuned for my most anticipated films of next year list that should make it online just before the New Year!

Let me know what were your favourite films of the year in the comments below.

I hope you have all had a great Christmas.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Feel Free To Comment!