Wednesday 12 November 2014

Interstellar

Wow. How do you review a film like Interstellar? Well for one I am keeping it SPOILER FREE, so get ready for a very vague review, but overwhelmingly positive because Christopher Nolan has made yet another masterpiece.

Set in the future where our planet is running out of food and the human race is on the bridge of extinction, a team of explorers set out on the most important mission in history; travelling beyond our galaxy to discover whether mankind has a future among the stars. This is the basic premise, but after all, this is a Nolan film, expect this and a lot, lot more. Yes Chris and his brother Jonathon Nolan have written yet another complex and creative cinematic experience that is unlike any other film you will see this year.

The cast of the film is brilliant, especially main character Cooper played by Matthew McConaughey who continues his recent run of perfect performances. All the performances are great, however I have yet to find a character played by Anne Hathaway who I have any connection towards, she was perfectly fine in the movie, I just never engage with her as much as other actors.

The film is visually stunning, an incredible piece of film making that definitely takes a lot of influence from 2001: A Space Odyssey, it's about as long a running time as well, thankfully though the story runs at a faster pace! Be prepared though, this three hour film isn't a breezy fun time, you are going to have to sit and listen intently because this is one film that encourages you to think about what is going on. If you go in ready though, this film will blow your mind. It is unlike any other film I have seen and viewing it in the cinema really engrossed me into the epic scale and story. It doesn't follow the traditional three act structure and the story goes into different directions constantly. It's also very powerful and I was tearing up at least three different times during the film, it also has a countless amount of goosebumps moments. For a film about Matthew McConaughey going into space, the first 40 minutes I didn't want him to leave Earth for the sake of his family! The heat of this film lies in the father/daughter relationship,be prepared for a full range of emotions during this film, because it is pulled off extremely well.

I have read a lot of reviews picking holes in the plot or the realism of the science. They have done nothing to curb my enjoyment of this film. The science shown is based on theories rather then reality and although some of it can seem far fetched, this is at the end of the day a science fiction film. Sit back and believe if for the sake of the story and the themes and ideas it wants to convey. This is a film that you are going to take home with you, I saw it last night and I am still trying to process it all.

It has a few flaws like the odd one or two underdeveloped characters but this does not take away from the enjoyability and ambition of the film. Nolan films are going to get harder criticism then others because he has made a long list of incredible films. He is one of the best and most innovative filmmakers around and nobody makes films like Interstellar, so it is great to see a film that completely blows you away. I always leave his films in awe and respect of his filmmaking. Yes there are aspects of this film that could have been cut to shorten it, but at the end of the day this is not your average film, and the experience of watching it was worth every minute and I would happily of watched another hour if need be.

I feel like I'm gushing a bit now. Interstellar is a masterpiece of a film. Go see it. I am giving it a rating of 5/5.

I know this film has divided audiences, so let me know what you think in the comments below.

Thanks for reading!




2 comments:

  1. Looks like I'll have to go watch this after all! Nice review :)

    ReplyDelete

Please Feel Free To Comment!