Sunday 28 February 2016

Quick Review #14: Oscars 2016 Edition

Below are some quick reviews/thoughts on some of the films I have watched recently that are in the running at this years Academy Awards. 


Bridge of Spies
I watched this film just before I went on holiday to Berlin in order to enlighten myself on some of the city's history and it did not disappoint. Spielberg and Hanks are always a winning combination. This film is an absolutely solid drama/thriller and piece if cinema.
4.5/5
Trumbo
A well-made, enlightening drama on a cause and a period of time that I had little knowledge about. It also made me want to write, which is never a bad thing.
4/5

Spotlight
This film is great. Solid performances, solid script, solid directing and a true story scarier than any horror film.
4/5
Room
I have not been invested in a film this heavily for a long time. This film had me gripped from start to finish. It didn’t take me long to care for these characters who were brought to life by the two incredible leads, both worthy of winning all the awards this season. This film was so powerful and it wasn’t just the obvious moments that I teared up over, it was the small moments, the one off comments that seem like they don’t mean much but in fact they mean so much more, these moments were so perfectly interwoven into the film that I am in awe of both writer and director for accomplishing a film just as good as this one is.
I can’t stop thinking about it.
I absolutely loved it.
5/5
The Big Short
I liked this film; it’s an intriguing take on what could have been a dull subject. I felt at times the film was trying too hard to be smart but overall I enjoyed it. I hope it doesn’t win best film at the Oscars, it doesn’t feel original enough to do so. Performances however are all on point.
3.5/5
Carol
I had a hard time with this film, between the meandering pace and the unlikeable characters I found difficulty investing myself into any of it. You can’t criticise the two lead performances but I went into this film expecting more and just came out feeling bored. I realise I am in the minority on this one but this film just didn’t grab me like it has obviously grabbed others.
2/5
Brooklyn
This film gets all the emotional beats just right, I’m not going to lie I was a bit of a wreck by the end of it. I’m sucker for a good romance and this is definitely one of those. A few odd character choices near the end didn’t make this one flawless however Saoirse Ronan’s performance definitely was. It’s between her and Brie Larsson at this year’s Oscars.
Loved this film!
4.5/5
So there you have it! I think it's pretty fair to say that if I wanted any film to eat up all the awards this year it would be Room, I absolutely adored that film!

Who are your favourites in the Oscars race? Let me know in the comments below!

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Feel Free To Comment!