Saturday 26 November 2011

50/50

So today I went to see the film 50/50 in the cinema. The film, inspired by a true story, a comedy centered on a 27-year-old guy who learns of his cancer diagnosis, and his subsequent struggle to beat the disease When I first heard about this film I was a little bit worried as to whether they would be able to pull off the whole subject of cancer and mixing it with comedy. When I saw the trailer earlier this year I thought, actually this could be really good if done well. My Grandad actually died of cancer when I was younger so I was really intrigued into how this film would make me feel. So I went to see it...

And it was extremely good! The contrast of comedy and sadness was done well enough to have you laughing one moment and crying the next, and sometimes laughing and crying at the same time. Joseph Gordon - Levitt plays Adam the character who is diagnosed with cancer and his performance was completely believable and one of his best yet. If he does not get and Oscar nomination or even a win for the role I will be surprised! Even though the Oscars don't always get along with comedy movies too much.

I can't fault this film at all really, all I can say is that I would have liked to have seen more of Seth Rogen's character who wasn't in it as much as I thought he would be. I think if he did have more screen time, it would have been his best role to date. I would have also liked to have seen more of the relationship between Adam and his father who had Alzheimer's, which wasn't mentioned much in the film. But apart from a few little niggles the film was practically perfect, the cinematography and soundtrack were brilliant!

As someone who has lost a relative to Cancer I can say that this film deals with the subject realistically and there isn't one bit where you think they are making fun of cancer at all. One of the best films this year and I really hope it gets some Oscar attention that it thoroughly deserves.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Feel Free To Comment!